What is Allergic Rhinitis?
In common language it is simple cold -or upper respiratory infections which caused by any type of allergens in the atmosphere which irritates the nasal lining producing inflammation.
It is annoying and distracting as it interferes with the individual’s day to day activities. In allergic rhinitis a person’s immune system overreacts to an allergens in the atmosphere.
It can persistent throughout the year or can be seasonal (humid climate)
Commonly affected age groups are between 20 to 40 yrs
Causes of Allergic Rhinitis
- Allergens can include – Pollens, dust, pet-hair mold
- Hereditary- allergies are known to run in family
- Chemicals –cosmetic
- Environmental factors
- Occupational-people are frequently exposed to dust for example teachers constant exposure to chalk particles over a period of years can precipitate Allergic Rhinitis.
- Smoke and fumes
- Climatic changes
- Emotional stressors –anger, anxiety they directly have effect on activating our immune system directly –causing the immune system to overreact.
- If you are on any drugs like aspirin
- Even worms inside our intestine can cause –inflammation of nasal membrane can cause allergic rhinitis.
All these allergens activate our immune complements (IgE antibodies) which combine with the allergens irritating the inflammatory cells (which fight with infections) –Eosinophils producing redness ,sDr.Banerjee of the nasal membrane with increased thin watery mucus discharge (corzya)
Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis :
- Early morning sneezing loud violent may be 10-15 at a time on waking up
- Stuffy nose
- Thin watery discharge from the nose
- Due constant rubbing the tip of the nose may turn red
- Eyes can also be red -conjunctivitis
- Acute loss of smell
- Nasal blockage can occur
- No fever but generally you may feel weak and lethargic
- If it extends to ear –ear block, pain or discharge
Diagnosis of Allergic Rhinitis
- Complete blood count
- Patch test –detection of allergens
- RAST (Radio allegro sorbent test)
- Serum IgE levels
- X-ray Skull water if the disease is progressing to Sinusitis
Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis
Keep your clothes, bed sheets, cupboard dust free. If you are handling any chemical to which you are allergic then wear gloves. While sweeping the floor or cleaning wear a mask or cover your nose. Keep yourself away from the causative factor.
During the attack
- keep your hanky separate; take frequent steam inhalation in case of nose block. Blow from one nostril at the time and close the other nostril to prevent the infection from going into the ear tube –to ears
Medications for Allergic Rhinitis
Antihistamine drugs can be taken orally and nasally to control symptoms such as sneezing, rhinorrhea, itching, and conjunctivitis.
Antihistamine drugs can have undesirable side-effects, the most notable one being drowsiness
Corticosteroids are used to control symptoms associated with sneezing, rhinorrhea, itching, and nasal congestion.
They take several days to act and so must be taken continually for several weeks, as their therapeutic effect builds up with time.
Topical Nasal Decongestants help to reduce nasal congestion but should not be used for too long as stopping them can lead to rebound nasal congestion of severe intensity. So there is no cure in conventional method of treatment
Homoeopathic Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis
As we see in modern medicine there is only symptomatic relief or just suppressions of symptoms by nasal decongestions. These medicines can only treat symptomatically but will have no effect the underlying tendencies. Steroids prolong use can further weaken our immune system.
In homoeopathy we treat the underlying disposition of the patients to these allergens thus stimulating the bodies own immune system to fight against the allergens. Increasing body’s own tolerance power.
Generally you will have a better quality of life –as during the attacks there will be no drowsiness , no body ache ,even the intensity of the sneezing of the symptoms will increase .You will be able to concentrate better on work . In course of treatment the attacks of allergic rhinitis will get reduced in terms of intensity and frequency and then after sometimes as the immune system gets stronger even after the exposure to the allergens you will have to symptoms, thus rendering cure.
Starting homoeopathic treatment from the beginning it will prevent the complications of Asthma, Sinusitis, Eczema (Skin condition) and depression. It will halt the disease at this stage only.
At Dr.Banerjee Homeopathy, Few commonly prescribed homeopathy medicines for allergic rhinitis are:
Arsenic Album, Arsenic Iodum, Allium-Cepa , Eupharsia , Sabadilla ,Silicea, Calcera-carb, Rhus-Tox